Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g sugar
- 180g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 20g sweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 135g brown sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- 5-6 slices tinned or fresh pineapple rings
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Place a 9-inch ovenproof pan on a burner on medium heat.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring until melted and bubbling.
- Stir in the lemon juice, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Arrange the pineapple slices in this syrup so they are close together but not overlapping.
- Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and nutmeg.
- Add this to the buttermilk mixture and whisk until just blended.
- Stir in coconut.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple slowly (so as not to shift the fruit). Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- If using fresh pineapple, the cake may need an extra 5–10-minute baking time.
- Let the cake cool for 30 minutes in the pan.
- Place a serving plate over the cake and invert the pan, lifting it to reveal the pineapple now on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Ingredients 1 carton drinking chocolate5 balls stem ginger finely chopped (this comes in a jar with syrup)A small drizzle of ginger syrup3 beaten eggs2 cartons self-rising flour2 cartons of caster sugar1 carton of sunflower oil175g carton plain yoghurt (the measurements for the rest of the cake are measured using the empty yoghurt carton) Preparation Method:...
Ingredients 1 Tbs (1 package) active dry yeast3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. lukewarm water (105degF)2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/2 cup for working1 tsp salt1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil Preparation Method: To make the pizza dough, in a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and let stand until slightly foamy on...